Concepts to think about:
- Why were priests involved in the enterprise of colonization?
- How do the colonizers sacralize the “New World”?
- How is the “New World” profane?
- What is the relationship between power and knowledge in both religions? i.e. The knowledge of the book versus the knowledge of the forest.
- Analyze the dialogue between Father LaForgue and Daniel. How do their views differ concerning the natives and their beliefs?
- How does Father LaForgue represent the modern “man”?
- Is father Laforgue’s understanding of conversion more about right belief or right action?
- How do the Natives and French see each other?
- What are the consequences that natives face after their conversion to Christianity?
- Why is it so important for Father Laforgue to convert the natives?